Friday, January 16, 2015

The Moment of Truth.

This is it.

No pithy, incisive humor to read here. Move along, people... This blog post is srs bsns.

The day after tomorrow, I will be standing at the start line of the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon.

My goal is evident in the url of this blog... 3 hours and 10 minutes to run 42.2 kilometers.

To qualify for the Boston Marathon in 2016, I need to do this in 3:15, but since they only take the fastest qualifiers till the places fill up, it's prudent to aim a notch higher.

So while obsessing with this goal, I came across this nifty little tool.

As you can see, based on my time for the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon which I ran in November (and was obnoxiously pleased with myself about over here), I get Marathon time predictions ranging from 3:08:44 to 3:13:19.

On the face of it, this is pretty heartening, and assures me a BQ at least, if not a sub-190 minute race.

But it's not.

Race times are predicted between races run in similar conditions, and in that, ADHM and SCMM are poles apart.

I have two obvious concerns. First- the warmth and humidity in Mumbai when compared to the bitter cold of Delhi/Gurgaon in which I have raced and trained over the past couple of months, and second- the Peddar Road incline, of which there is no analogue on the flat ADHM route.

Looking back on the training cycle, I seem to have done everything right... put in the miles, avoided injury, recovered wisely and tapered well. I am counting on the additional training I have clocked since ADHM to compensate for the variations in the race conditions.

Physically, I feel primed and ready.

Mentally...To say that I'm nervous and anxious would be putting it mildly.

I have little left to say for now.

An year of training is coming to a close. I hope I can meet my goal. My bib number is 5118, if you're curious about how I fare...

One way or another, expect to read a familiarly insufferable post about it sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment